Professional Certificate in Spanish for Healthcare
The Spanish for Healthcare Professional (SHP) Certificate is a specialized online program designed to improve working knowledge of medical Spanish and cultural awareness. The 4-course online program is geared toward current and future health professionals with basic to no Spanish language background.
Classes taught online asynchronously (lectures and assignments accessed at any time). The certificate program consists for 4 online courses
- Medical Spanish Essential
- Medical Spanish Communicative
- Medical Spanish Informative
- Cultural Competence in Health Care (taught in English with Spanish nuances)
$1500 per course
10% Scholarship available to any Catholic affiliated hospital, clinic, university, organization, and CUA alumni.
*The Spanish For Healthcare Professional Certificate Program at Catholic University may be eligible for tuition reimbursement by your employer. Contact us now to talk to the Program Director and learn more!
Class hours: 35 hours per class or 140 hours for 4-course certificate
Course Duration: 5 weeks per course
CEU Credit: 3.5 Continuing Education Units (CEU) awarded per class! Your Certificate will be issued upon of completion 4 courses
Start date: Rolling admissions - students may apply at anytime for the next available class
Grading: pass/fail and individual classes can be taken in any order
Apply: Fill out this form to apply.
Admissions Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org 202 319-5256
The 4-course online program is geared toward learners with minimal to no Spanish language background. Each class builds on language and vocabulary at the same time as medical terminology. Students develop working language skills for optimal communication applicable to the current healthcare environment. The program also stresses sensitivity to and respect for cultural and ethnic diversity in a healthcare setting.
The SHP certificate consists of 4 online courses (3 Medical Spanish and 1 Cultural Competence in Health Care). Each class has 35 contact hours of participation. Classes can be taken individually and in any order. Grades are awarded on a pass/fail basis. C or higher required.
Upon completion of this 4-course certificate program, learners will be able to:
- Achieve a professional working knowledge of medical Spanish.
- Accumulate a specialized vocabulary appropriate to health care situations.
- Empower healthcare professionals to better communicate in Spanish.
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of cultural differences within various Hispanic cultures.
- Identify and understand the personal beliefs of patients to provide the highest quality care in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Expand skill sets to better serve the needs of the Hispanic community.